Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sibling Rivalry

"Besides winning, [the most fun thing is] getting out there and mixing it up with friends; it's the competition." -Al Unser, Jr.

So sorry for not posting anything sooner. I have a good reason for my late post; I was waiting until after I raced one of my coworkers, Felix.
Felix is sort of like my big brother at school. He has really taken me under his wing and taught me a lot of stuff that is really important for me to know as a grad student.
He is also Chinese (Felix is his American name). He has no brothers and sisters and one day we were talking about this and I told him I could be his little sister. Part of my responsibilities as a little sister is to taunt and annoy the older sibling.
I have told him on several occasions that I am faster than him and could definitely beat him in a race. So, today, we tested my theory.
Felix plays soccer every weekend and is pretty quick. He is 8 years my elder (like my real brother), but is still in good shape for that age ... ;) ... like my real brother. We decided that he would be able to beat me in anything shorter than a quarter and I could beat him in anything longer than a mile. So our agreed upon distance was a half mile.
I plotted our course using mapmyrun.com and we made our way over there around 5pm. It was 99 ºF and I was little worried about my asthma so I used my inhaler. We warmed up and stretched a little bit, and then we were off.
I led the whole first quarter. The jogging trail we were running on gave at each step; it was like running on sand. A bus stop was on the trail, and as you would expect, a bus stopped right as we ran by. There were only a few students getting on and off, but it was enough to slow us down a little bit. I got back up to pace and then realized I didn't hear Felix's steps anymore. I was not about to look back or slow down, so I just ran the last straight-away. I finished in 2:51.84 and turned around to see Felix had about 1/16 of a mile left. I whooped him!!!
I wasn't wearing my usually running watch, so I couldn't get his time, but I bet he finished in around 3:15 or 3:20. That's not bad.
I did end up having an asthma attack, and I think that scared Felix. He made sure I was okay, like a good brother. This was a lot of fun & I look forward to being able to rub it in his face tomorrow about how much faster I am than him.
That's what little sisters are for, right??

Runs:
T - 5 mi, 42:02.41
W - 4 mi, 34:21.94
Th - 7 mi, 58:31.24 - this was a speed workout, 5x1600 at 7:13
S - 10.59 mi, 1:38:14.96

3 comments:

Samantha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bcIII said...

You still haven't beaten me, even if Austin was just a technicality, it counts as a win for me!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! nothing like good old fashioned sibling rivalry to get the adrenaline pumping! i should try this sometime... ;-)