Saturday, April 5, 2008

Low Fidelity

“Every day is a question of your commitment that running is not afraid to ask.” New Balance LOVE/hate commercial

This past week has been very busy and something had to give. Unfortunately, that something was running. Yes, I admit it, I cheated on running this week. But the good thing about our relationship is that running understands. Running always lets me come back and sometimes I’m better for taking the break.
I had a test on Saturday morning, so I didn’t run Friday because I was studying. The same reason is my excuse for missing my Monday run. I have found that when you miss a run and try to make up for it, you never catch up to where you should be. You’re stuck in a cycle of trying to catch back up with the run you missed. I think it’s easier to forgive yourself for missing the run and just start back where you should have been.
That sounds easy enough, right? So, why is it so hard to forgive yourself and move on? I have trouble with this because I am a perfectionist. If I miss a workout I feel like I messed up my training and lied to my friends who thought I might be running that day – basically that I cheated myself by cheating on running. Right now it’s not that big of a deal for me to miss a run because I’m still in my recovery mode after the marathon in February. I can afford to miss a run to study for a test.
Which leads me to my next point: prioritizing. There are some times where you have to miss a run because an emergency came up or a big project is due that you have to finish. You have to realize when it’s okay to postpone or cancel a run. Some examples include: the birth of your child, the TPS reports your boss gave you to be finished by Monday, helping your best friend move, or if an injury sidelines you. Whatever you think is more important than running really is.
If you’re consistently missing runs, it might be a time-management problem. Make sure you’re scheduling time to run and not procrastinating on other projects that you have to do. Wake up early to make sure you get your run in. This could help your mindset for the rest of the day. You could also write your runs in on your schedule. Whatever you have to do, make sure you’re getting out there to do what you love. But don’t ever let running keep you away from the ones you love.

Training:
M: I was studying for my test on Tuesday.
W: 5 mi, 38:40.04
F: 7 mi, 58:04.80
S: Speak Up for Kids CASA 5K (am), 24:08.37 (gun time: 24:12.7)
I got 28th overall, 6th for the women, and 1st in my age group

As promised: The Get-Strong 2006 plan

No comments: