Saturday, April 12, 2008

Aging gracefully

“Twenty-three is old. It's almost twenty-five, which is, like, almost mid-twenties.” -Jessica Simpson

So, Jessica, what does that make 24? Yes, this week I turned 24. I’m just a year away from the next age group and I’ll have to start competing against that really fast girl in my running club. I better enjoy this year while I can.
Everyone has birthdays, and as we get older, we tend to think about what we want to do with our lives. Not that I’m having a mid-life crisis or anything, but there are specific things I want to do before I kick the bucket. Even before that movie came out, I had a list of goals that I want to accomplish before leaving this world.
I’ve always been taught that it’s important to set goals, and it’s even more important to write them down (this could be to aid your memory as you get older so you don’t forget your goals). I think it’s also important to tell others your goals. Once you put a goal out there, you can’t take it back. Your friends and family that know about the goals can hold you accountable to these expectations.
Goals can be split into two categories, long term and short term. The time frame you choose to categorize goals is up to you. I think it’s relative to the total amount of time you are spending on that type of goal. A short term goal that has to do with your whole life could take as long as a year, whereas a short term goal for a semester long school course could be accomplished in a week. These are my short and long term goals for my running:
Short term (by the end of the year):
Run a 10K in June in under 45 m
Run a half marathon in November in under 1:45
Run all the local races held by my running club (that I am not already scheduled to be out of town for)
Long term:
Run all the major (& a few minor) marathons in Texas – 2 down
Qualify for Boston before I turn 30
Continue running well into my senior years

Training:
M: 5 mi, 48:56 - This was a run w/my hubby. He doesn't like running, so we did the Jeff Galloway run/walk method... we ran 9 min then walked 1 min. Around mile 3.5 we walked a little more. He did a very good job!
W: I skipped my 3 mi run to study for yet another test
F: 8 mi, 1:06:39
S: 6-8 mi, about 1h of hilly trail running with a new running buddy of mine. I like running with someone. It's a lot more fun that running by myself!

1 comment:

bcIII said...

which is it? do you like being alone with your thoughts or running with a buddy?