Saturday, March 22, 2008

Running from dogs

“Cujo knew he was too old to chase rabbits.” – Cujo, by Stephen King

Cynophobia is the fear of dogs. While my fear has greatly subsided since I was a small child, I am still afraid of dogs I don’t know and especially dogs that are bigger than me (I am fairly petite). Just hearing the bark of a dog through a fence is enough to make me run a little faster.
On some of my very long runs, I run by a house that usually has the dogs enclosed in a wire fence. I don’t mind running on the same side of the street as that house as long as I know the dogs can’t get out. On one of my 20 milers, I saw in the distance a silhouette of a dog on the street. I switched sides of the road, but as I got closer and closer to the house, Cujo started trotting my way and barking at me. I got away unscathed, but still scared that I would have to see the dog on my way back.
Around mile 13 on that run, I encountered another early riser walking 7-8 dogs... some unleashed. The unleashed ones just wanted to play, but I didn’t appreciate these unfamiliar dogs yipping at me and jumping on my legs as I tried to maintain my pace. Thankfully, I was got away quickly as the owner was able to somewhat control her dogs.
On my way back home, the traffic was a little heavier, so I was able to avoid any run in with the first dog again because he couldn’t cross the street.
I have many other stories about seeing dogs while I’m on my runs (including seeing dogs on the roof of their owner’s house and changing my route because a pit bull was on the loose), but the point of this is to hopefully help other runners avoid a bad run in with these canines.
As a runner, the dog instantly sees you as prey. In Runner’s World, Karen Peak says if you’re being chased by a dog to slow down, turn around and walk in the opposite direction of the dog, be boring, and definitely report it. If there is a dog loose, the animal control needs to know about it so no one else has to encounter the animal.
If the dog does attack, drop to the ground and get in the fetal position. Make sure to cover your head and neck and yell like crazy. You want someone to hear you so they may be able to ward off the dog.
If possible, I suggest climbing a tree to get away from the beast. While the dog is nipping at your dangling ankles, you can call for help (if you carry your cell with you) or make enough noise for the neighborhood to think there’s a domestic disturbance and then they’ll see it’s just you.

Training:
M: 5 mi, 40:39
Th: 3 mi, 25:25
F: 5 mi, 45:53
S: 35 min on a cardio machine(s); I think I have shin splints. Since I'm still the in recovery phase of my periodization I'm going to be conservative with any injuries that might occur.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You should carry pepper spray girl! Erik and I have been walking every night and I carry this really big stick and look like a total dork, but I don't care. A giant hound dog jumped OVER the fence a month or so ago and nearly scared the living crap out of me!

bcIII said...

pepper spray sounds good, does it work well on dogs? sorry to hear about your shin splints, you should try stretching before you run!

bcIII said...

http://web.zatyko.net:8080/gozeke/26.php